South Tampa Law Group
Hablamos espaƱol
Call 813-586-2277
to speak to an attorney today.

What are the alimony payment enforcement procedures?

If you are receiving alimony in Florida, you may wonder what you can do if your ex-spouse stops paying the court-ordered alimony. This is a common issue that the law has set standards for. The Florida Statutes state that a person who stops paying alimony without a prior agreement or order to do so will be held in contempt.

If this happens, your ex-spouse will have to go to court. The court can make the person attend job training, report income directly to the court or actively look for employment if unemployed. The court may also charge court fees to your ex-spouse. It is the responsibility of the person charged with contempt to prove that he or she cannot pay the alimony as ordered.

If you are paying alimony and know that you will no longer be able to keep up with payments, you do have the option to seek a reduction in the amount you pay to avoid issues with being held in contempt. You will have to petition the court and get a hearing. In the hearing, you must show why you cannot make the payments as ordered. Generally, a court will make changes to alimony payments if you have lost your job or undergone a situation that has reduced your income. In some cases, alimony can be terminated if there is substantial proof that it would be impossible for you to pay it now or in the future, as might be the case if you were to suffer and permanent injury that made it impossible for you to work. This information is only intended to educate and should not be interpreted as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Get In Touch

Talk To An Attorney About Your Family Law Case

For more information or to schedule an attorney consultation, call 800-277-2388 or complete our contact form. We are here to help you reach your goals.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Make your next step the right one. Call 813-586-2277 to speak to a lawyer.

Review Us

3408 S. Manhattan Avenue, Suite 1
Tampa, FL 33629

Phone: 813-586-2277
Tampa Law Office Map